[OM] Obscene price of on camera flash

Subject: [OM] Obscene price of on camera flash
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 11:34:04 -0800
Many of us aren't thrilled to be paying the asking price for a new
flash for the new digital SLRs. Will Crocket's shootsmarter.com has an
article covering on camera flash but it doesn't help the cost.

A couple quotes

ONE:  You buy a pro DSLR and matching brand pro flash but still have
inconsistent TTL exposures.

TWO:  .... In years past, we usually would pass on the Canon, Minolta
and Nikon flashes and buy the Vivitar, Metz, Sunpak, Quantum or
Soligor (remember them?) flashes instead. Today, the aftermarket
flashes still top our list but only for non-TTL applications with one
exception - Quantum.  The T5D flash system actually provides better
TTL exposures on most DSLRs than any other flash."

The Quantum makes the camera mfg's own flash look resonable priced ...
so no help there. There's not a lot of discussion in th article
(covers N*kon and C*non). It is at:

http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc031.htm

He basically recommends looking at Metz(76mz or 54mz), Quantum(T5d-R),
and Promaster (7500 DX)

-jeff