[OM] Re: ebay advise

Subject: [OM] Re: ebay advise
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:37:51 -0800
Maarten Schulte wrote:
> As promised here they are my 3 Sigma lenses which I'm selling.
> The 600mm Mirror lens is actually already on e-bay.
> If interested, please contact me off list
>
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/maarten.schulte

You didn't mention that one is the 600/8 mirror lens. Overall, that is
my favorite of the 5-600 mm mirrors.  The Zuiko has slightly better
contrast, but that isn't the issue for digital or scanner images that it
was with film alone.

The 600 mm fl makes it, in effect, higher resolution than the Zuiko for
essentially all shots I take with it. No matter how long, these lenses
never seem quite long enough for what I'm shooting with them. And I can
almost never move closer. So I seem to be always cropping the results.
Thus the same subject taken with 500 mm will be enlarged more than if
taken with 600 mm for the same display size. Working out the math from
this assumption on the resolutions in Modern Mags tests gives the Sigma
higher effective res than the Zuiko
<http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-cat-tests.txt>.

The Sigma also has the best filter solution I know of. Oly requires you
to use 72 mm filters. All the other third party lenses use small filters
screwed on the back of the lens, requiring dismounting the lens to
change filters. Slow, awkward, and for DSLRs with dust issues, a
negative. The Sigma has a mount for small filters that fits into a slot
near the rear of the lens - slick, quick and easy. And the build quality
of the Sigma is excellent.

Here are some shots with the 600/8 in Maine a couple of years ago. First
image is a setting shot for the second. Resolution here is limited by
air movement, not the lens. On the 300D, it's equivalent to 800/8 on 35
mm. The rest of the shots were made of moving animals in afternoon shade
with an f8 lens, a pretty tough challenge, so there is noise from high
isos. Nos. 5-7 are successively tighter crops of No. 4.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Maine/Sigma600/>

Moose