[OM] Re: E-330 Question

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 Question
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:47:52 -0500
At 04:21 PM 1/5/2007, Moose wrote:

>Dpreview says "....switch to 10x magnify mode, which is extremely useful
>for checking focus (in a static shooting situation)."
>
>Lots of detail about live view with sample images of the LCD
><http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/page7.asp>.

Yeah, I saw that when I read the review again yesterday but really
wanted it verified by someone on the List.

>One down side that I just can't believe is that the live view display
>doesn't reflect the exposure being made. That is different than all the
>gazillion non SLR digicams, which makes it non-intuitive for anyone who
>uses them, like me.

That's not a problem for me since I don't use P&S cameras and won't
miss the feature.

>The other obvious thing to consider is the sensor noise. Although not
>ideal for me for a general purpose camera, at least it doesn't follow
>the current digicam trend of megapixels at the cost of visible noise
>even at low isos.

It'll be interesting to see how it performs compared to what I
normally shoot.  For wildflower work I stick pretty much to ISO400
and don't use any noise reduction.  Based on what Joel has said the
330 may be usable under those conditions too.

>Then for me, there is the issue of lenses. I already have AF lens
>coverage of 19-300 mm (and the 300 is effectively 500 mm for most uses)
>and an excellent AF macro lens in EF mount. I'm not about to to carry
>around two camera kits, one for macro and another for everything else.

In my case I'll really only need to carry the one body and a macro
lens since I'm not buying it for general photography but strictly for
wildflower work.  I might add a wide angle prime later for grab shots
if Olympus or Sigma ever introduces one in the 12-14mm range but I'm
not interested in carrying around a kit including a zoom when
shooting wildflowers.

>Guess I'll just get an angle finder for the 5D one of these
>days........... How long before N or C come out with Blue-tooth live
>view to be seen on a remote LCD and/or as heads up on my glasses? Not
>all that long, I'll bet.

I'm currently using the right angle finder and it works great for
landscapes but sure is limiting when doing macros.  I'm hoping that
the LCD on the E-330 will solve some of the problems.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA