[OM] Re: [lens] Re: Speaking of backup drives

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: Speaking of backup drives
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:58:57 -0400
"Fireproof" safes are usually made for paper - they have a lot of water in the
gypsum surround
and are designed to keep paper below ignition point, eg, about 120C. You need
to look for one
designed for more fragile media and/or put the media inside something
waterproof, like a couple
of ziplock freezer bags. But high heat might fry the electronics of an HD
anyway.

As to safest cheap location in/near a house for a hard drive which would resist
fire and tornado,
I'd suggest a location on the usually windward side so it would be out of the
flames. Ideally, you
should use reinforced concrete, but a water barrier (lead the wires in at the
bottom) and multiple
layers of wallboard might protect against fire and water.

And lots of working smoke detectors in the house.

Syncback is flexible freeware which can compress and use ftp.

tOM

On Thursday, January 04, 2007 at 19:21,
Thomas Clausen <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrot

> Ken,
>
> In general, the best way to place a back-up, for fire-purposes, is a
>  fire-proof safe in a different building. If you worry about
> earthquakes also, place the different building on a different
> continent ;)
tOM Trottier, Ottawa, Canada
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 231-6115 N45.41235 W75.71345
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself "
-- Henry Miller, 1891-1980