[OM] Speaking of backup drives

Subject: [OM] Speaking of backup drives
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:02:32 -0800 (PST)
For Christmas I got myself a 250GB drive and a Ethernet drive
enclosure.  Not exactly the speediest thing in the world, but it sure
felt good getting all of my images totally backed up on another
drive.  I've got a freezer full of DVD backups and a hard-drive with
critical images stored at the office 25 miles away.  I'm tired of
tempting fate.

Now, one question remains:  Best location to put the drive in the
house.  If I can locate it anywhere (thanks to a length of Cat-5),
for fire purposed where would you locate it?  I've got a ranch house
with attached garage and full basement.  Places I've been thinking
of:

Garage:  Near floor in a fiberglass insulated metal box.
Basement:  I'm leary about that because of water damage, but would
provide protection from tornado damage.  How far up from the floor
would you place it.
Outdoors under deck:  I've got an enclosed wood deck that I could
place a waterproof and insulated box.  Probably a high-risk for
tornado loss.
Off-site disaster recovery data storage through an ISP's server farm.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com