[OM] Re: Yes, he is finally installing a back up drive and has

Subject: [OM] Re: Yes, he is finally installing a back up drive and has
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 03:26:36 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> You implied, but didn't state it, that this external drive has both
> eSATA and USB connectors.  Is that correct?
Yup. And I'm careful to state HS-USB 2.0. There are still a few
inexpensive external HDs that just say USB. looking closely at the specs
of one of them, it has a very slow transfer rate, obviously "regular"
2.0. If it don't say High Speed USB, don't buy it without checking. I
doubt if anybody is still making the slow ones, but they are still in
the sales channels.
> Next question, given the recent discussion of connector robustness (or lack
> thereof) how do you
> rate the eSATA connectors just based on a visual exam?

First, I disconnect my 500 gb back-up drive by unplugging the FW cable,
blind from behind, and haven't had any trouble. Sems pretty sturdy to
me, although I don't know what Thomas does with them.  :-) These are the
full size connectors. the mini connectors, as on my VTR and notebook,
are much smaller. So far, the moderate care I take of them has worked.

The eSATA connector looks like it has good size  connector pads that are
well recessed and channels on the sides to guide it in straight. Not up
to heavy-duty use, but looks fine for my needs. Probably be obsolete
before it starts to wear. :-)

Moose