[OM] Re: Speaking of backup drives

Subject: [OM] Re: Speaking of backup drives
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 19:21:58 +0100
Ken,

In general, the best way to place a back-up, for fire-purposes, is a
fire-proof safe in a different building. If you worry about
earthquakes also, place the different building on a different
continent ;)

Unfortunately, fire-proof also means that no cables can come in or
out of it, and that you can't ventilate it. So unless your drive
enclosure comes with telepathic interfaces, works well without power
and doesn't heat, then I would discount the fire-proof safe - and
discount the idea of trying to preserve the content of this
particular disk in the event of a fire. Chances are that you'd make a
lot of efforts and the disk still wouldn't survive.

If you've got a brother or close friend and you both have broadband,
why don't you hook up a disk at each others place, and do remote
backup every other night or so instead? With differential backup
software, you'll find that it works surprisingly well. I do this
myself (between office and work - having no brothers and no friends
either....) and I find it close-to-optimal.

--thomas

On 4Jan , 2007, at 7:02 PM, AG Schnozz wrote:

> For Christmas I got myself a 250GB drive and a Ethernet drive
> enclosure.  Not exactly the speediest thing in the world, but it sure
> felt good getting all of my images totally backed up on another
> drive.  I've got a freezer full of DVD backups and a hard-drive with
> critical images stored at the office 25 miles away.  I'm tired of
> tempting fate.
>
> Now, one question remains:  Best location to put the drive in the
> house.  If I can locate it anywhere (thanks to a length of Cat-5),
> for fire purposed where would you locate it?
>   I've got a ranch house
> with attached garage and full basement.  Places I've been thinking
> of:
>
> Garage:  Near floor in a fiberglass insulated metal box.
> Basement:  I'm leary about that because of water damage, but would
> provide protection from tornado damage.  How far up from the floor
> would you place it.
> Outdoors under deck:  I've got an enclosed wood deck that I could
> place a waterproof and insulated box.  Probably a high-risk for
> tornado loss.
> Off-site disaster recovery data storage through an ISP's server farm.
>
> AG

> http://mail.yahoo.com

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx