[OM] Re: Zuiko 16mm fisheye...how much veiling glare should I expect

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 16mm fisheye...how much veiling glare should I expect
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:48:09 -0800
Be sure to tell the guy running the Olympus-Odyssey website if you see
errors. That's the only way it will get fixed.! His eyes have trouble
focusing on computer screens.

A couple years ago someone explained that damage to the rear lens
element was more likely in general to be a problem than damage to the
front element. The damage on the rear element acts like a reflector
directly facing the film. Damage to the front element will scatter the
light, much of which will be traveling away from the image. The DOF on
the ultrawides is pretty large. Stuff on the front element is more
likely to cause out of focus spots on the image than on a normal lens
though.

I haven't used the Zuiko 16mm enough to have an opinion. The D.Zuiko
7-14 is quite flare prone. I have to shield it with my hand most of
the time when outside. The flare is the typical repeated aperture
image. I've heard the N*kon 15mm f3.5 is also very sensitive to flare.
I believe it puts hot spots on the opposite side of the image from the
source. In the past I think some list members mentioned that a
Sigma(?) ultrawide would put an image of a bright sky also on the
opposite side of the picture.

-jeff