[OM] Re: OM2n : what fails first, batteries or test ? [latest developeme

Subject: [OM] Re: OM2n : what fails first, batteries or test ? [latest developements]
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:12:10 +0100
First, my thanks to everyone who answered my question. This helped me rule out
the batteries as cause of failure. Mine together were well above the 2.8 V
limit reported, so the problem was/is deeper.

I'm tempted to write 'was' because I took the time to disassemble the top and
bottom, and clean every suspect contact. As of corrosion, there doesn't
appear to be any, but my OM-1 experience tells me mercury batteries are to
blame in that case.

This didn't improved anything significantly, so I finally decided to look
under the floor of the mirror box. I didn't knew if it was wise to remove the
screw in the front (there's one such screw in early OM-1s like mine at the
back that *musn't* be removed), so I gently tried to pry it open without
touching the screw. Of course, it didn't move, because on 2s, it is clear the
screw locks the bottom down. But before unscrewing it, I fired the shutter a
couple of time again... and it worked. So I tried again... and again.. and
again... No more locks up !

I finally got to the very bottom of things, peeked a look at the board,
everything seems in order, put back the floor, and tried... and tried... and
it doesn't lock up anymore.

That's frustrating - I didn't do anything, and I don't know if it'll last, but
it looks like at least I'm going to try a couple of rolls before giving up
that body.

--
Manuel Viet