[OM] Re: OM2n : what fails first, batteries or test ?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM2n : what fails first, batteries or test ?
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:07:22 +0100
Le jeudi 16 Novembre 2006 11:36, Moose a écrit :
> Jeff Keller wrote:
> > People have reported that loose screws on the bottom plate can cause
> > intermittant problems. If it is black, John recommends using silver
> > battery caps. Check out the battery compartment for corrosion or a
> > bent spring. It really sounds like a poor connection somewhere.
>
> Yup, could easily be one of those things. OR - it could be the
> batteries. This behavior is common when using alkaline batteries. Unlike
> the best silver oxides, they start to drop in voltage fairly early after
> starting use. Then they also drop in voltage under load much more than
> proper silver oxide batteries. The 2 and later bodies intentionally are
> designed to lock up if the voltage drops too low to assure correct
> exposure. If it locks up, you KNOW the shot wasn't caught, rather than
> getting a nasty surprise later. So under the trivial load of the test
> circuit, the red light is fine, but under the much higher load of the
> shutter curtain electro-magnets, the voltage drops and the camera locks
> up until released.
>
> So, they will often tend to work fine for the occasional short exposure
> shot, but lock up with longer exposures or the second or third exposure
> in rapid succession.

Thank you for answering, and for quoting Jeff answer too as his post didn't
made it to me yet.

About lithium vs silver oxyde, I knew about it and epx76 are of the SO breed.
So that leaves me with poor connection or electronic failure. In fact, I fear
the latter because slow speeds are mostly OK while highs are more likely to
lock up the camera. If voltage drops or a  loose connection were to blame,
one would expect to have at least an equal rate of failure at each speed
setting, or more lockups or troubles at low speeds when a sudden power drop
might occur during the exposure.  But that's an absolutely wild guess from an
uneducated amateur.

I can't help having the feeling that this body is slowly drifting toward
alzheimer. But it's so beaten (not by me) and I had it so cheap it doesn't
make any sense to send it for a true CLA, all the more if final verdict is
that electronic's toasted. On the other hand, being 'mostly' working stops me
short from scavanging its penta to replace my 1's, as I intended when I
bought it. That's my dilemma. Do some of you know of similar cases of
terminal illness of that body type ?

--
Manuel Viet