[OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants (LONG)

Subject: [OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants (LONG)
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:22:30 -0500
 Virtually every other SLR
>> manufacturer offered several autofocus models. Olympus offered only
>> a few -- and none at all in their "professional" (single-digit OM)
>> models.
>

> It clearly shows that you do not know the background behind why Olympus
> had
> little to show here. Read my postings on this issue.

Background doesn't matter a whit. The fact is, they didn't have a product
that the market wanted, and suffered for that.

> And as a follower of Olympus, you hadn't heard of the OM-3Ti and its
> significance? And praytell, what would you add beyond the OM-4Ti - not
> OM-4
> - along the same lines when the generation was moving to AF-SLRs??? And go
> back to my previous response and re-read my posting on the REAL reasons
> behind Olympus not fielding a competitive AF-SLR.
The 3's were a product for a very small niche. VERY small.

> And exactly how do you define a PROFESSIONAL camera?
When Nikon slipped and wound down their professional services, they allowed
Canon to take over. That was before AF existed. A PROFESSIONAL camera is one
that is fully supported. (and by the way, many US professionals found the
OM's too lightly constructed. Perhaps they were so used to the Nikon
hammers, that everything else looked like one, but for many pros, the OM's
didn't stand up.

> I can't comment on the company's activities in America. So no comment.
Not much to comment on.

> At Olympus there is a difference between consumer-grade and
> prosumer-grade.
> Make sure you know how to tell the difference.
Yes, the professional one is the one like the competition's three or four
years before.

> And for your information the next E-x camera is already under development
> and so are two E-xx DSLRs and the money to do that came from the successes
> of E-300, E-330 and E-500 sales.
The E-xxx are almost totally unavailable at camera stores, and rare at big
box stores. The only places that I saw them regularly were office supply
stores. Now, they have been replaced by digital rebels.

> I'm not sure what you're trying to drive at here.

That Olympus is languishing in others dust.

> You're no different from most others. I've said before over and over and
> over again. The E-400 will come to the US market but not now. There isn't
> enough stock yet because we don't have sufficient production lines. Is
> that
> OK by you?
> There are OTHER markets that have to wait even longer. Consider yourself
> privileged in America. And for chrissakes, learn to be patient.
Sure, I'll be patient, while others have 12MP low noise sensors. Or 14, if
things go as before.

> I'm not even going to repeat myself again about this issue. It's difficult
> to talk when people act like ostriches and stick their necks in the sand.
WOW!!! Talk about heads in the sand, take a look at Olympus headquarters.

> It is difficult for you and others to understand because you plainly don't
> want to understand.

You must understand! We WANT a good, competetive Olympus SLR. We just don't
want to wait years for something that is already obsolete. Electronic things
go obsolete quickly, and there is no reason to wait two years for last
year's product.

> If you want Olympus to understand YOU, why not humble yourself a little
> and
> ask if you have tried to understand THEM? You cannot go on TRYING to
> understand them if you don't do your homework. Instead through the devil's
> playground - your mind - you have wild fantasies and torrid thoughts,
> fascinating speculations and put-them-down attitudes.
I guess the consumer electronics business is different down under. It's not
our job to understand the manufacturer. It's the manufacturer's job to
supply competetive products at reasonably competetive prices. We walk around
the stores, read magazines, and buy what seems best for our needs. WE make
that decision, and I don't think either you or Olympus understands that.

> Good expert opinion. You obviously know better than Olympus. You should
> make
> an appointment and train them.
We don't need to. There are plenty of Japanese manufacturers that understand
that perfectly well.

> I, for one, won't be going all out to convince you. You're welcome to buy
> Canons and Nikons and god-knows-what. I'll show you the E-5 in the very
> near
> future and watch you weep and regret. Don't worry, I'm much more patient
> than you.
There are some of us that use our cameras to earn a living. Olympus doesn't
want to deal with us, or they wouldn't expect patience.

> That is WHY I'm sharing with all of you. There's absolutely no frikking
> point when even inside information is going to be rejected, is it!!?? What
> is the point in wasting my breath when people just don't want to listen
> and
> prefer that their "versions" are better???????
>
> You neither know nor understand their strategy. So you throw darts at
> them.
> That's nice. Little wonder America hardly relates foreign policies well.

I for one, am not a fan of my country's foreign policies. I am, how ever,, a
realist. I understand that the US is one of the major consumer markets. I'm
not sure Olympus does>

You have my word on this though -
> I will forward this mail to Shinju-ku. Let them know who you are and how
> highly you think of them. After all like you'd said, if you didn't like
> Olympus, you wouldn't be throwing in your "constructive criticisms". I
> suppose that showing your pessimistic mindset is "constructive criticism."

Good! We all love the OM equipment, and wouldn't use any other 35. That's
why we feel like we do. I know that American companies have failed
miserable, for lack of understanding specific markets. Japanese companies
are no different. Olympus has shown over and over again (remember the OM10?)
that they don't understand the US market in the least.

We want a good competetive camera to go with the great lenses. That's what
holds me back. Most of us aren't sure we can wait.

Bill Pearce