[OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants

Subject: [OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:16:54 -0500
AG Schnozz wrote:

> This is my story, and why I'm ranting.

I can think of few on this list who have promoted Olympus longer and
harder than you have, Ken. It's a conviction, IMHO, based on the
quality of the work that can be done with Oly products, whether they
are OMs, Zuiko glass, or E-thingies. You've thought carefully about
whether OMs could stand up to the first digital cameras (Oly's and
others) and whether the E-1 could hold up to a plastic DRebel with
less than twice the resolution -- and stuck with the cameras which
met your needs.

I don't see your current position any differently. You have weighed
your needs and Olympus is coming up short. Given your preference for
and investment in Olympus products, that understandably is
frustrating. What's worse, management of the companies (Oly Japan
and USA) seems rudderless or clueless. They are manufacturing
cameras which could meet your needs, but (for what most of us
perceive as bad reasons) they're not available in the U.S. And
what's even worse is that the companies with which Olympus competes
have demonstrably stepped up the rates of improvement of their
products and make them available quickly, not somedaymaybe.

No, the frustration is understandable.

As for the rest of us -- that is, those of us who still have some
faith in a company with a questionable track record (sorry, Khen,
but Olympus shows decades of not having a firm grip on their
market), it's frustrating to see an innovative company fritter away
what little market share they have by being uncompetitive.

My E-1 certainly fulfills my needs as a photographer at this point.
But their seeming indifference to the market -- or their inability
to translate vision into product on any timely basis -- makes me
wonder about the future of the company, and that makes me unwilling
to invest more in lenses and accessories for my E-1. It's a shame,
since we've been happy customers for quite a while and we certainly
don't want a camera market that offers us just the choice of C, N,
and maybe S.

Steve