[OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants

Subject: [OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 00:10:01 +0800
My responses interlaced in text. I doubt you'll like what I wrote.

On 30/09/06, Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> AG Schnozz wrote:
>
> > This is my story, and why I'm ranting.
>
> I can think of few on this list who have promoted Olympus longer and
> harder than you have, Ken. It's a conviction, IMHO, based on the
> quality of the work that can be done with Oly products, whether they
> are OMs, Zuiko glass, or E-thingies. You've thought carefully about
> whether OMs could stand up to the first digital cameras (Oly's and
> others) and whether the E-1 could hold up to a plastic DRebel with
> less than twice the resolution -- and stuck with the cameras which
> met your needs.
>
> I don't see your current position any differently. You have weighed
> your needs and Olympus is coming up short. Given your preference for
> and investment in Olympus products, that understandably is
> frustrating.

What's worse, management of the companies (Oly Japan
> and USA) seems rudderless or clueless.

That's where it never ceases to surprise me how you and so many others seem
to believe you know how Olympus think. Rudderless? Clueless? If the company
were given to you to run, I suppose you'd know exactly what to do? Exactly
how the market dynamics work GLOBALLY? Exactly how to compete against
you-know-who? Please don't lay judgement without understanding or at least
try to be SEEN to be attempting to understand.

They are manufacturing
> cameras which could meet your needs, but (for what most of us
> perceive as bad reasons) they're not available in the U.S.

I've said enough times already. NOT YET is different from NOT EVER.

And
> what's even worse is that the companies with which Olympus competes
> have demonstrably stepped up the rates of improvement of their
> products and make them available quickly, not somedaymaybe.

Obviously no one reads what I've written. How big is Nikon? How BIG is
Canon? How BIG is Sony? How BIG is Samsung? And how big is Olympus???
Having said that, I won't and I can't tell you how but 2007 will mark an
important turnaround. The E-300, E-330 and then the E-500 brought us back
profits. The E-400 will add more to that. The companny will get back in the
black. 2007 will see chanelling of vital resources that will champion the
Four Thirds movement. But heck, who am I that you have to listen to anyway.

No, the frustration is understandable.

> As for the rest of us -- that is, those of us who still have some
> faith in a company with a questionable track record

Huh? Faith? Where? I think I can find hen's teeth more easily than I can
find any morsel of faith in any of you guys.

(sorry, Khen,
> but Olympus shows decades of not having a firm grip on their
> market), it's frustrating to see an innovative company fritter away
> what little market share they have by being uncompetitive.

Again, didn't read my earlier postings. I have openly admitted we made
mistakes or did anyone of you expect that we're perfect? At least I'm doing
that part to tell you. Try getting someone from Canon to confess to their
mistakes and I'll tell you, they have many.
"Decades of not having a firm grip"? Decades? I'm sorry for being pedantic
with your choice of words but when you write stuff that is critical, I'll be
very watchful of everything you write or say.
"Uncompetitive"? Boy....you sure know your stuff...

My E-1 certainly fulfills my needs as a photographer at this point.

Thank God.

But their seeming indifference to the market

They're not. But you're smart - you used the word "seeming."

-- or their inability
> to translate vision into product on any timely basis -- makes me
> wonder about the future of the company,

The future's fine from where we're looking. Thanks for asking.

and that makes me unwilling
> to invest more in lenses and accessories for my E-1. It's a shame,
> since we've been happy customers for quite a while and we certainly
> don't want a camera market that offers us just the choice of C, N,
> and maybe S.

Yes, it's a shame that you can bring yourself to this point of being total
doubting Thomases.
Why not a market with only Canon, Nikon and Sony? I reckon you'd be very
happy!

K.

If you feel that I've gone nuts, probably I have. Not to worry, I'll cool
down in a minute. Just like others here on the List, I can also rant and
grunt especially against the faithless who claim they have faith. As for AG,
I can actually appreciate his predicament, which has more to do with timing
than anything else. This rant is specifically not aimed at AG. There. I'm
done.

Steve

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx