[OM] Re: Red-eye and contact lenses - and other evils flash does

Subject: [OM] Re: Red-eye and contact lenses - and other evils flash does
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:55:22 -0700
Reading all the posts about this red-eye example and various solutions,
it became clear to me that a lot of problems were simply from working
with too small an image. So I upsampled 300%, using FM SI Pro, then
redid the work and downsized again. I think that works much easier and
better.

Simply viewing at more than 100% makes things easier to see, but the
actions taken are still implemented at a very gross level.

The other thing about this image is that flash has done many other
things. There is lots of unnatural and unattractive reflective shine on
skin and on the edge of the lipstick. Also, from a pure pictorial point
of view, the fellow behind her is distracting.

So I did some "stuff" to tone down the reflections and the background
guy <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/JezC/redeye.htm>.

I think the result removes a great deal of the pernicious results of
flash. Doesn't come close to portrait lighting, but still....  I like
the hair a lot better too. Of course, the lines, etc. in the skin could
be softened, but that's not a flash issue. I'm not entirely satisfied
with the color of the guy, but at least he falls into the background now.

And the more I look at the eyes, the more I think one problem I've had
with working with them is that they are actually slightly wall-eyed,
with one looking directly at the camera and the other slightly to the
side. Sit back and look a it as though it si a person you are speaking
with, slightly odd? Maybe it is all a subtle perspective thing from
using a long lens on someone who is looking slightly to the side of the
camera. In any case, the result is that the highlights look odd, but
it's hard to see how to fix them

Moose