[OM] Re: megapixel capacity of the E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: megapixel capacity of the E-3
From: "Chris" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 23:15:24 +0100

> Here below are some tests I have made and posted here before, check the
> details of the fan at left you will know what I mean:

> Here is the samples from ISO 100-3200, tripod, self-timer, F30 at highest
> quality mode, E-1 at RAW converted with SILKYPIX and save as JPEG with
> Photoshop (ISO100-400 with some sharpening):

I have only looked at the iso 800 images, but the differences are
interesting.

F30 - little obvious noise, but poor detail in some areas.
E1- noise is evident, but appears sharp.

Compare the wooden flooring, the E1 wins hands down.

I  find the obsession with noise reduction puzzling, it seems to be at the
expense of other aspects of image quality. If you go back to Film tests, all
aspects of the performance were taken into account. Image noise is similar
to film grain - it can add something to an image if the quality of noise is
right.

I hope the novel amplifier technology mentioned on the E400 really works, it
shouldn't cause blurring of detail.

Chris