[OM] Re: megapixel capacity of the E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: megapixel capacity of the E-3
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:26:59 -0700 (PDT)
The big claim to fame of Foveon is greatly reduced red and blue aliasing and
the aliasing is
consistent across the colors, so less objectionable. This also then does not
require as much
anti-alias filter. The camera resolution is then the same independent of color,
unlike Bayer where
the red and blue resolve only half that of the green.   As you allude to ,the
downside is the Si
absorbtion "filters" are not nearly as sharp as discrete on chip filters , so
the reconstruction
algorithms to seperate colors, adds noise over the inherent sensor site noise.
This at least partly negates the theoretical huge signal to noise ratio
advantage, of not throwing
away more that 2/3 of the photons, that occurs in a conventional Bayer sensor.
You can think of
the mathematical color seperation partially requiring the differencing and
scaling of combinations
of three large numbers, so the errors (noise) in the large numbers gets
magnified by the
differencing operation.

Tim Hughes