[OM] Re: in-camera image resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: in-camera image resolution
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 12:29:04 +0100
Iwert

That's interesting, but I have the following to add, perhaps in
clarification:

300ppi is really the best image resolution for an image file that you
wish to print; that is, if I have A4 paper I want to fill (for
instance), the image should show a size of around 280 x 195mm when
set to 300ppi.  If I use less than that it might look poor in print.

But once I have pressed Cmd+P and set the print media, my printer
(1290) will not print at less than 720dpi (in the print dialog) with
certain printing surfaces.  And if I use 720 instead of 1440 on some
surfaces the finish is "dotty".  Ilford heavyweight glossy paper is a
case in point; I got it cheap and it didn't take long for me to find
out why.

I have learned 2 things from experience: if you have to increase the
dpi you're using the wrong printing surface/media; and use only the
best printing media.  [I know, they're both the same ;-)]

Now your wife might be using professional standard machines, but I
have the setup for both my Epsons (old 750 and less old 1290)
suggests this procedure.  Are you still saying that I am wasting ink
and that I should force my Epson to use 360dpi, whatever the media?

Chris

~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.