[OM] Re: in-camera image resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: in-camera image resolution
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 20:31:07 +0200
Tom,

I agree that 360 dpi might give better results on a high quality
printer, however the image being 313, 324, 367, 425 or 375 dpi original
isn't of any importance. The hardware or software RIP wil translate the
digital dpi's in analog ink drops, whatever dpi as input. It is a thing
of apples and oranges.

As I said before: the red green and blue of the digital image has to be
translated to the CMYK of the printer, where the printer has an
irregular dot pattern, and the digital file a regular square pattern.
It is not possible to interrelate the two dpi's! The only fact is that
you can't print what isn't there at first, so an image of say 8x10 at
360 dpi will give better results than the same downsampled to 300 dpi
on a printer with the possibility to resolve enough detail.
So that it needs to be an even divisor is a myth, it simply can't be,
because the printer doesn't print square dots (unless you have a dot
matrix, :-) and the dots are all of a different color, they are not
composed of 3 components like the digital RGB.

Iwert.

Op 6-mei-06 om 20:02 heeft Tom Scales het volgende geschreven: