[OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.

Subject: [OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:38:34 -0500
At 12:43 AM 3/14/2006, you wrote:
>NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>Dirty sensors are a way of life (an expensive one) for people who use the
>>other two.
>> This is not a pitch for other brands. In fact, if answers to a couple of
>questions are affirmative, I will almost certainly buy an E-330.
>
>However, as a matter of truth in advertising, cleaning sensors is just
>not hard or tricky. It is, however, in the interest of those who service
>cameras to have users believe it to be dangerous.

I would expect that some pro shooters are really rough on their
cameras, and perhaps if they used E-1's in the same numbers, the E-1's
would be on the shelf also.

I've had a 5D since October, change lenses all the time, just got back
from the Carribean with really fine sandy beach and wind, and I changed
lenses on the beach... There is no more dirt on the sensor now than
when I got it. If there is, just a quick swipe with the right brush, or
a special rubbermade scraper cut to size with a Pec*Pad wrapped around
it and a *couple* of drops of methanol.

There was about the same amount of permanent dirt on my E-1 sensor. I
don't think there is any real objective data on just how effective the
Olymus dust shaker is. My E-1 required cleaning about as much as the 5D
does now.

If anyone wants to see the dust on their E-1s. Set it to manual
unfocused, set your monitor to all blue background. Set the aperture to
F22. Take a picture of all blue. You can move the camera around, as it
is only the constant blue light source that is required. Take a look at
the result in PS. I guarantee that you will see dust on your E-1
sensor. Let's have some real data to back up hypothetical claims about
the E-1 dust shaker. I would rather see an Anti-shake with the sensor
movement. Then every time anti-shake is engaged, the sensor dust will
get shaken off.

Wayne