[OM] Re: The E-330

Subject: [OM] Re: The E-330
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:22:54 +1030
At 9:50 PM -0800 2006.03.13, Moose wrote:
>Ok, Walt, here are the big questions.

I'm not Walt, and I don't have an E-330, but I do have a reasonably detailed
review of one in front of me (Australian Camera, March/April 2006).

>With the right answers, an E-330 will be coming this way soon after the
>lens I want is back in stock at B&H.
>
>How is the noise at iso 400, 800 and 1600, full pixel?

To quote: "everything holds together well up to ISO400, but noise becomes
evident in the shadows at ISO800 and more widespread beyond". I must say that
the ISO1600 sample that AndrewF posted a while ago looked pretty reasonable to
me.

>Does the LCD show changes in exposure live? That is, if I use spot and
>meter something bright, does the rest of the LCD image turn darker, and
>vicy versy?

Not so good. " ... it won't show you the effect of any adjustments that might be
applied prior to image capture ...".

>For bonus points, does the LCD live display have any histogram and/or
>blown highlights display? I know it does after, but how about before I
>push the button?

Can't find a direct comment, but the specs section says " ... exposure
histogram with highlight alert ...". FWIW.

>Thanks for any elucidation.

Hope this was some help.

regards
  Andrew

PS Why am I reading this? I never look at digital reviews, I read APUG
instead :)

However the E-330 is the first DSLR that I've found slightly tempting.

Nonetheless will probably get a L*ica M-something first ...