[OM] Re: Cameta has me weakening

Subject: [OM] Re: Cameta has me weakening
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 07:38:58 -0500
One of the reasons I haven't yet bought a Canon DSLR is that I keep
eyeing the ideal range (28-108 equiv) and f/2.8 speed (well, sort of) of
the ZD 14-54 which make it desirable for minimizing lens changes and for
low light focusing.

However, one of the reasons I haven't bought the E-1 is that its low
light focusing ability is reputedly much less than a 20D.  I'm stuck
between a rock and a hard place.

The range thing is very frustrating.  There is plenty of constant
aperture 2.8 wide to tele glass for Canon thingies but they start at 24
or 28mm which, after the crop factor is applied means 38-45mm equivalent
on the short end.  Going wider at 2.8 means changing lenses to something
in the 17-35mm range.  I can see myself changing lenses all night long
when covering events.  And who wants to do that; especially with no
ultrasonic dust shaker. :-)

Anyhow, if I were to buy an E thing I would definitely spring for the
14-54 for its speed.  But at $190 I might be tempted to spring for the
other two just to have them.

BTW, I think that "factory demos" is a marketing term here to justify
much reduced prices without an official price reduction.  After all, how
many factory demos can there be?

Chuck Norcutt