[OM] Re: Cameta has me weakening

Subject: [OM] Re: Cameta has me weakening
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 09:07:02 -0500
On 1/1/06, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However, one of the reasons I haven't bought the E-1 is that its low
> light focusing ability is reputedly much less than a 20D.  I'm stuck
> between a rock and a hard place.

Chuck,

I'm not a pro photographer that's making my living from my photos nor do I
take tons of low light images so please take my opinions for what they're
worth.  I have taken time exposures in the field of up to 16 seconds at 100
ASO and have been able to focus using the single AF-manual combination
(using the manual focus mode while having the AEL button for AF lock is
another cool option) with the E-1 and had no difficulty getting a sharp
image, and that's with 51 year old eyes.  Just now I tried the AF in a
darkened room aiming at the floor with the 14-45 lens.  The camera focused
quickly (at least for my tastes) in light that would have been difficult
manually (30 seconds at f6.3).  I'm not so sure low light AF is going to be
a problem for you.  Whether the Canon does it better could be a moot point.

Richard