[OM] Re: Cameta has me weakening

Subject: [OM] Re: Cameta has me weakening
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 04:54:26 -0600
Dean Hansen wrote:

>     Martyn and Steve each recently BIN'd a NIB E-1 body and two lenses,
> the 14-45/3.5-5.6 and the 40-150/3.5-4.5 (both factory demos) from
> Cameta's ebay page for $780.  Cameta's E-1 bodies alone, NIB, have
> recently sold for $538-645, or an average of about $590, as auction
> items.  So the combo deal gives a buyer these two all-but-new demo
> lenses for only an additional $190.  From Cameta's offerings, one could
> also chose another combination and get just one lens, the 14-54/2.8-3.5,
> for about $360 in addition to the body (AG did better).  Is the 14-54
> lens that much better than the other two?  The combo Martyn and Steve
> each BIN'd is again for sale at the same $780.  Why spring for just the
> 14-54 at almost twice the money, guys?

There is a discussion on DP Review about this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=16446316

What I got from it is that the 14-45 is a decent lens for the kind of
photography I'll be doing with the E-1 and that the 14-54 is a very nice
lens, but not worth the price differential _plus_ the incremental cost
of buying the E-1 "a la carte."

Steve