[OM] Re: Heartbreak of the X3...

Subject: [OM] Re: Heartbreak of the X3...
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:31:53 -0500
At 07:23 PM 12/20/2005, Winsor wrote:

>I agree. For all intents and purposes it seems to be dead with not
>even the rumor of a new, more competitive resolution camera in the
>offing. I really don't get it, actually. It seems like an elegant
>design, but its potential asset of accurate color is the area in
>which it is weakest according to reports I have seen.

Yes, the color depends on controlling doping profiles and electronics
rather than well controlled color filters. The idea is really attractive and
would be cool if stuff like this:

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/chip-tech-05zp.html

could be used also. The X3 approach is one way to improve on the
anti-alias filters required compared to conventional RGB sensors.
To do RGB interpolation from several pixel locations requires
more aggressive AA filters. But if the color depends on controlling
bias voltages extremely accurately, and over temperature, along with
random variations in wafer fab processing, it is a hard tradeoff.

Olympus certainly can use help on the sensor technology, but I think
they have chosen to compete at a lower price/performance point.
Just perfect for those birthday parties. I gave up on the poor E-1 noise
performance. 2-stops increase in speed for the same noise increases
the potential photos a lot. I still think 5 megapixels that are really clean
beats 10 noisier megapixels any day. But 10mP that are cleaner than
5mP is even better, except for the $$.

Wayne