[OM] Re: Heartbreak of the X3...

Subject: [OM] Re: Heartbreak of the X3...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:00:22 -0800 (PST)
>If Foveon had a better product I'm sure they wouldn't have
>any trouble getting Oly to buy it.  Who needs a better sensor
>than Oly?

I disagree with the basic foundation of this statement. I'm
having a hard time coming up with REAL disadvantages to the
Kodak sensor.  It isn't quite as "clean" as the Canon CMOS, but
there is a whole lot less noise-reduction going on too.  You can
see the difference in chroma noise levels--which the Olympus'
sensor is remarkably clean at. Granted, Canon has nailed down
the clean-sensor routine pretty well, but that's only ONE
variable in what makes up "image quality".

I'd appreciate a lesser aggressive AA filter and maybe another
stop or two of cleaner ISO, but at what point does any of this
actually affect the final print?  We're reaching the point of
diminishing returns.  Sensors will get cleaner and higher
resolution, but how clean and how much do you need to photograph
your kid's birthday party?

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com