[OM] Re: OT .22s WAS snapshot-type shooting picture

Subject: [OM] Re: OT .22s WAS snapshot-type shooting picture
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:08:15 -0400

> I like the 22-250 and use them for rock chucks and coyotes.
> Ammunition is cheaper for the 223 though.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Carbine (20" barrel) in 223 that I bought
because I could get cheap military ammo. Well, it wasn't too accurate with
that stuff, as you likely already would know, so I ended up reloading my
own. As soon as I get a set of dies for Nicolas' 22-250, I'll reload for him
as well. So there will be almost no difference in price of ammo then, just a
bit more powder.

>The new thing now is the 204
> Ruger. It shoots a little bitty bullet at about 4000 feet per second with
> very little barrel erosion. I just bought one in a pistol barrel to try
out.

I've looked at that one as well. It looks quite interesting. We have a
rather unique situation here in the province of New Brunswick, Canada, as
our game laws allow you to carry any 22 caliber or smaller, either rimfire
or center fire, on a varmint license, which means you can carry one year
round. It's a rather stupid law that you can't carry any caliber, as any
center fire rifle is legal for hunting any big game in NB, but anyway, that
is the law we're stuck with. So it makes the 22 or smaller centerfire rifles
quite attractive to us.

> I still have my target rifle I used for competition when 11 years old.

> /jmac

I still have my first 22 as well - Winchester Cooey, single shot, 22
rimfire, made in Canada even, with extra long barrel.

Wayne (trying to think of some way to tie in OM content)