[OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke OT

Subject: [OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke OT
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:46:43 -0000
I think it's a _diiferent_ tense required, Chris, since it is clear that the
interviewer is talking about a future date, not a past date.  Thus "were to
do", the future conditional, an even rarer species than the pluperfect, and
in that respect way more better an example*.

Alternatively, if you insist on your version, then the interviewer would
need to continue "would have been a better outcome"!!  I duly claim my £2
Gift Voucher.

But yes, it also gets up my olfactory organ, this forced obsequiousness
(blimey, can I spell that word?) which is no more than a veiled insult.

--
Piers

* For casual readers, please note the deliberate non-conventional (for
British English) usage of reduplicated comparatives, for artistic effect.