[OM] OT English as she is spoke OT

Subject: [OM] OT English as she is spoke OT
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:33:09 +1300
Hi all,

I didn't really mean to get up the nose of Chris and I hope you noticed the
   :-)>  Chris.

One source of persistent irritation for me is a practice that our announcers
(interviewers) on National Radio here have; and that is to ask questions in a
negative form. I frequently take issue with them on it.  And sometimes they
take notice for a day or two.

These announcers/interviewers tend to be somewhat aggressive in their
questioning manner, and often seem to disagree with the person being
interviewed. So a question might go like this.

For example:  " Do you not think that if you did this on Friday rather than
Thursday there would be a better outcome?"

It seems to me that if the person being questioned answers "Yes" or "No" it
would mean about the same.

For my dollar I'd rather have the form of the question be
" Do you think that ... .... ?"
Then a Yes or No answer would be quite unambiguous.

Maybe I'm out of practice with current argument, since most questioned
people answer No, in agreement. Or something.

Brian