[OM] Zuiko stuff - well slightly hybrid actually

Subject: [OM] Zuiko stuff - well slightly hybrid actually
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:33:05 +1300
Hi all

I mentioned a while ago that I am busy with a family re-union to be held in
October 2006, and have put up a web-site for it.
We sent out 1,050 invitations to register !!

The images pages of the site start at
http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/SFR/SFR4.htm

Most of these images have been done with an OM Zuiko 50/3.5 macro lens
mounted on an E-1.

I am very pleased with the results and the process.

I can go from taking the picture to having a finished page with image
uploaded within maybe an hour, which includes resizing the image,
transferring to another computer, processing, writing html code etc.

Often (but not always) the prints I have to work with are contact prints from
old Kodak Hawk-eye folding cameras using ?? 610 format film. I am
pleasantly surprised at the amount of detail I can extract (for example in
clothing fabrics) through careful manipulation of EV, Custom WB, contrast at
time of exposure, etc.  Usually the prints are at least 65 years old.

Sometimes the prints are old studio photos close to 100 years old, others
are Fuji Lab copies of such.

The first (top left) image on this page was actually from a print that was
close
to 6x8 inches, and was a delight to work with.

Some prints have been torn, mended with aged yellowing cellotape, and so
on. I had to learn cloning to cope with some of these matters.

Maybe it is due to paper differences, but the E-1 does not seem to pick up
the structure of the paper in the (annoying) way that my flat-bed scanner
does. However, I do have to be quite particular as to lighting, considering I
use natural light.  For this kind of work the E-1 has superseded my flat-bed
scanner 100%.  Even when hand-held, the results can be quite good. I have
been shooting at f/8.

Brian Swale