[OM] Re: om underwater housing

Subject: [OM] Re: om underwater housing
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:23:22 -0500
The plant is coriander sativum.  Also called coriander, cilantro and
chinese parsley.  In the US at least the leaves and stems are called
cilantro.  I assume that's the Spanish word.  They're used heavily in
Mexican and Indian cooking.  I'm not sure about other countries' cuisine
nor what it might be called in Hindi.

The seed is simply called coriander seed.  Probably because coriander
seed was used in US cooking well before the rise of Mexican food in this
country which, I assume, brought in the use of the leaves and stems and
with it the word cilantro.

Although it looks like parsley there is no comparison in aroma and taste.

Chuck Norcutt