[OM] Re: E-500 Operating Temperature

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 Operating Temperature
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 18:14:30 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Roger Key wrote:

> In th E-500 manual under 'Operating Environment' the temperature range is
> given as 0 - 40 degrees Celcius. This would seem to severely restrict winter
> useage on ski trips. Does anyone have experience of using an E-1, E-300, or
> E-500 in below freezing temperatures?

Last winter I put my E-1 outside for a few hours when it was about -30C to
see how it would behave.  The LCD became extremely slow and the BLM-1 battery
gave out after a few minutes of use (it was fully charged).  I'm sure if the
E-1 had an external cold weather battery pack like the OM's did it would work
fine in extremely low temperatures.  The Li-Ion battery is the weakest part
for cold weather use.  I'm thinking of using something like a Quantum battery
plugged into the external 9V battery port but I just can't bring myself to
cutting up a $100+ external power supply just to get the cable!
                                        -mark