[OM] Re: OT: UPS shipping problems

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: UPS shipping problems
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:28:28 -0800
Bill Pearce wrote:

>This is one of those things like mechanics paid on a flat rate. It's great
>for the company, but not so hot for the customer.

Can be good for everybody, in a well run shop.

One of my sons is a dispatcher in an auto dealer repair shop. It's his
job to assign repairs to mechanics and set priorties for them.

If the dispatcher is any good, your repairs will be done by the
mechanics who are best at them. This can mean that different parts of a
repair order are done by different mechanics. The tricky part done by
the expext in that area, the rest by someone else. Sort of like the
brain surgeon who has a lesser paid surgeon open and close.

This system is a win for everyone. The shop optimizes the use of their
expert resources. The customer has a higher likelihood of having the
best tech do the repair. The experts are generally going to beat the
flat rate time, so they make more money. Much of my son's income is
based on how efficient the shop is, including deductions for redos,
customer problems, etc. Oh, and the techs do redos for free.

Overall, the system is designed so that everybody, including the shop,
makes the most money if the repair is successfully done in the minimum
time the first time. That way the overall average best for the customers
is pretty well aligned with what's best for those doing the work. Not
perfect, of course, but the right direction.

At a place where he used to work, a senior tech had worked out a way to
do a group of jobs with a flat rate time of over 6 hrs. in under 3,
using a very different approach to gaining access. He was making out
like a bandit! And of course the dispatcher gave him all of those
particular jobs.

Moose