[OM] Re: Olympus and The Voice of the Customer

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus and The Voice of the Customer
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:30:46 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Stephen Scharf wrote:

> No, it's clear to me that OLy has no meaningful VOC...if they did,
> they wouldn't keep putting out mildly evolutionary products that
> still don't address the complaints of thier customers.

Imagine what the OM-1, Pen F, or XA would have looked like had it been designed
solely to the customer specifications of the time.  Innovation rarely comes
from customer input, it requires a visionary who understands what people will
want, not what they currently want.  Apple's Ipod comes to mind.  Of course
innovation doesn't guarantee market leadership, marketing and affordable
products usually takes care of that.  I'm happy to see that Olympus continues
to be innovative and doesn't just follow what everyone else is doing.  I just
hope they sell enough products to allow them to continue doing this.
                                                -mark