[OM] Re: Katz Eye E-1 screen: further impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: Katz Eye E-1 screen: further impressions
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:02:48 +0000
I understand completely that this is how it's supposed to work, and if it were
otherwise, I would not be a happy camper and would be in full bitch and moan
mode, but there is a certain, albeit perhaps irrational, sense of comfort and
satisfaction in seeing that the Katz Eye split-prism screen and the E-1
autofocus are in complete harmony.  When using an autofocus lens, it's kinda
like wearing both belt and suspenders, and when shooting with one of the
heritage Zuikos, it turns focusing from a guessing game into a reasonably sure
thing.

Since I took to photography before auto much of anything, I consider stop-down
metering and manual focusing only minor inconveniences, so much so that now
that I can focus the old lenses accurately, and since the ZD 14-54 and LWMNBN
take care of approximately 80 percent of my ordinary, everyday lens needs, it's
probably going to be a while before I buy another digital lens.

And speaking of lenses, now that I have the ability to focus them properly, I
have tried and found these oldies to perform just fine and dandy on the E-1.
While AG's list was based on actual, objective measurements and testing, my
list, which is made up mostly of lenses he didn't have or, at least, didn't
test, is based on seat-of-the-pants shooting and a reasonably critical judgment
of what's good enough for Walt work, which is usually about a smidgen and a
half better than government work.

Zuikos:
35-80/2.8
50/2 macro
90/2 macro
100/2
135/2.8
135/4.5 macro
180/2.8
300/4.5
500/8

Tamrons:
28-105/2.8
80-200/2.8
90/2.8 1:1 macro
300/2.8

The 1.4X-A and 2X-A work fine on the 180/2.8 Zuiko and the 300/2.8 Tamron.  I
haven't tried either of them with any other lenses yet.

So, if ya got 'em, use 'em.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from