[OM] Re: Zuiko 50-250/5

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 50-250/5
From: "Dean Tyler" <dtyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:16:12 -0400
I like my 50-250mm.  It is very compact and has a 55mm filter ring.  John
did a CLA and stiffened up the zoom, so now I have no zoom creep.  The boken
is different from other Zuikos.  It not smooth like the 135mm f.4.5 or 50mm
f2, but I can think of only a couple of photos I dumped due to bad boken.
Here is an example:

http://www.pbase.com/veggie_dean/image/48550837

I believe some of the boken issue come from camera vibration.  I had SRB
make a tripod mount for this lens and it really improved the performance of
the lens.  I often travel light with the 21mm and the 50-250.  Lens speed is
the real negative point of this lens.  Forget about hand held photography
with 100 iso film unless you are in direct sunlight.  But the image quality
is also pretty good a wide open.

Currently, I am debating whether or not to sell the lens.  I picked up a
180mm f2.8 and 1.4xa and it is a nice combo that gets me to 252mm f4.  I
have only shoot a couple rolls with the 180, but it seems nice.  I think it
will be a great long portrait lens.  The jury is still out on the 180/1.4xa
combo image quality.  I don't care for the 72mm filter size and weight.

Dean