[OM] Re: Telecentricity

Subject: [OM] Re: Telecentricity
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:52:44 -0300
On 8/24/05, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> According to Oly a telecentric lens requires a large diameter mount
> compared to the size of the sensor.  They made a big point about the (OM
> size) mount on the E-1 being twice the width of the sensor.

Hmmm, could be part of the requirement (and part of what I was
thinking which was why I asked about size being an issue). But C*n*n's
lens mount is pretty big. In a bit of searching online it looks like
it's 54mm so that's still a lot bigger than the diagonal length of a
35mm frame, not twice as big though.

> I assumed this would mean that 4/3 lenses would have very large rear
> elements.  But according to the E-1 owners here that does not appear to
> be the case although I don't recall if anyone here has specifically
> addressed this with regard to the 7-14 lens where this would be most
> important.  Walt?  Anyone else with the 7-14?

Not having seen any of the DZ's in person I can't really comment on
this. But, is it possible that they have rear elements that are large
relative to the sensor size but that don't seem large when compared to
35mm lenses?