[OM] Telecentricity

Subject: [OM] Telecentricity
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:28:02 -0300
There's been a lot of discussion on the list lately regarding
telecentric lenses and the debate over the performance of wide angles
on a full frame sensor vs. a smaller sensor.

I understand the principles of telecentric design, a digital sensor is
not as sensitive to light hiting it at an oblique angle (compared to
film) so you want your lens to be designed so that the light strikes
the sensor as close to perpindicular as possible across the entire
frame.

What I'm wondering is why isn't this possible with a full frame (35mm)
sensor? Is it simply a size concern? I know that Tamron (and likely
others) has their Di series of lenses and I believe that part of that
design is to make the light rays hit the sensor at more of a
perpendicular.

In other words, is it the case that telecentric lenses covering the
35mm frame can't be made for a 35mm sized body/mount or is it just
that there haven't been any (many?) released to date?

If it's just a matter of them not being released yet then I'd say we
should expect to see C*n*n release more telecentric designs now that
they've introduced a full frame sensor in something other than their
flagship body.