[OM] Re: Telecentricity

Subject: [OM] Re: Telecentricity
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:32:23 -0400
Andrew Dacey wrote:

> There's been a lot of discussion on the list lately regarding
> telecentric lenses and the debate over the performance of wide angles
> on a full frame sensor vs. a smaller sensor.
>
> I understand the principles of telecentric design, a digital sensor is
> not as sensitive to light hiting it at an oblique angle (compared to
> film) so you want your lens to be designed so that the light strikes
> the sensor as close to perpindicular as possible across the entire
> frame.
>
> What I'm wondering is why isn't this possible with a full frame (35mm)
> sensor? Is it simply a size concern? I know that Tamron (and likely
> others) has their Di series of lenses and I believe that part of that
> design is to make the light rays hit the sensor at more of a
> perpendicular.

According to Oly a telecentric lens requires a large diameter mount
compared to the size of the sensor.  They made a big point about the (OM
size) mount on the E-1 being twice the width of the sensor.

I assumed this would mean that 4/3 lenses would have very large rear
elements.  But according to the E-1 owners here that does not appear to
be the case although I don't recall if anyone here has specifically
addressed this with regard to the 7-14 lens where this would be most
important.  Walt?  Anyone else with the 7-14?

Chuck Norcutt