[OM] Re: Pinhole conversion

Subject: [OM] Re: Pinhole conversion
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 23:25:17 -0300
On 8/7/05, NSURIT@xxxxxxx <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am of the keep it simple school of though (except for the times when I'm
> not) however on this one here are my thoughts:
>
> 1) Go to Calumet or some other supplier and buy a Finney pinhole body cap
> with a laser cut hole.  It will cost you about 10 minutes and $30 or  so.

Yes, that's looking like it may be the way to go. I was hoping to do
this on the cheap but after looking at how bad my pinhole from last
year really is I'm thinking the manufactured way is the best way to
go. Unfortunately, I can't seem to track them down in Canada yet so I
may have to order from the states which is a little more of a pain but
not much (less of one now that the Canadian dollar is doing better).

> 3) When you decide you want MF negatives, get either a Zero Image pinhole
> camera or go to ebay and buy one of the Agfa Clacks that are being converted
> by
> the pin hole shop in Germany.

Yes the Zeroimage cameras are beautiful (my teacher at the workshop
had one). I may just crack and go this route as it is. I really like
some of the ultra-wide effects you can get with a pinhole and the
large flange distance on the OM's means I'm much more in the normal
range for focal length, I was thinking I could get something much
shorter but forgot that retrofocus designs mean that the lenses are
further out from the film plane than their actual focal length.

> 4) When the bug has really bit you on the butt and you want 4X5 negatives,
> again Zero Image has the ticket.  For about $225 you can have their very
> nicely built 4X5 with a variety of pinholes and zone plates.

Yes that could be fun. I could get a lensboard for Arca Swiss but
lugging around 5 or 6lbs of camera seems a bit excessive for pinhole.
Part of the fun of pinhole to me was the complete simplicity of it and
the ability to take pictures with a minimum of equipment. I think
lugging around the Arca would take away from the spontaneous fun of
pinhole. But a Zeroimage 4x5 could work.