[OM] Re: Opinions on E-1 or E-300?

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions on E-1 or E-300?
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:17:21 -0500
> >For  those of you who chose either an
> >E-1 or E-300 over other DSLRs, what was it  that made
> you choose the
> >Olympus?
>
> I narrowed my choices to Nikon D70, Canon 20D, and the
> E-1. Salesman recommendations were enough to convince me
> that in terms of overall build, the E-
> 300 and D-70 weren't what I wanted. In the end, a
> combination of handling, overall build, recommendations
> from users and $$$ made me choose the E-1 over
> the 20D. Knowing that I could buy a complete E-1 kit with
> a great flash, fast lens, and an extra lens or two for
> the price of a 20D and a fast lens alone (i.e. no
> extra battery, no flash, no filters, etc) was a major
> factor. throw in the fact that I have 25 + years of
> experience with Olympus, the controls were intuitive for
> me,
> and the camera came with an adaptor to use my OM glass,
> the decision became pretty easy.
>

> --
> Barry B. Bean

Price became hard to resist.  I figured the ZD 14-54 with an
MSRP of $600 (B&H $500) meant that at about $1K the camera
was the cost of one of the more reasonable advanced digicams.

If money were no object, I would have investigated the
CWMNBN* from the N competitor.  I would not consider Canon
because I am irrationally indisposed to that marque, but
also worried about the expense of the lenses.

I got hooked on the 4/3 system with the C-8080.  I'm a
believer now, so the E system is part of the land of milk
and honey, and everything else ain't.

I didn't expect to like the E-1 as much as I now do and the
OM lenses work better than I had expected.  The camera is
extremely comfortable in the hand.  There is no pain or
performance sacrifice associated with shooting in RAW mode,
which suits my penchant for post processing.  My other
digital cameras either don't do RAW or do it quite slowly.

Joel W.
CWMNBN* (camera which may not be named)