[OM] Re: Opinions on E-1 or E-300?

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions on E-1 or E-300?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:59:39 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/2005 9:20:12 AM Central Standard Time,
jhoweaa@xxxxxxxxx writes:

For  those of you who chose either an
E-1 or E-300 over other DSLRs, what was it  that made you choose the
Olympus?

Some of the things which had me select the e-1would include:

Build quality
Pricing
Sensor cleaning
Ability to use my existing lenses

What is missing that I'd like to have is:

A bigger sensor, although I'm going 13 X 19 with no problems with quality  of
the image.
Image stabilization of some sort.

What Olympus has that others don't, as I see it.

Sensor cleaning and this is a big deal.  I've used my e-1 for a  little over
a year and have never had any problem with a dirty sensor.

A 14 - 28 mm equivalent lens that is really nice if you like super  wide.  It
is cool enough to give the Can*n and Nik*n folks a little lens  envy.

While on a shoot this past week, I busted my cable release and went to my
local retailer to see if on the outside chance they might have one.  They  did,
so I bought it and also the eye cup, which I had not been looking for,
however when I put it on my camera decided it might be worth the $25 price
tag.  I
was fortunate that the sales person I happened to end up with was  the
"digital" guy at this particular establishment.  I've dealt with  him in the
past and
unlike many, he knows what he is talking about.  He  commented he didn't
realize I was using the e-1 and said he had just  switched from a Can*n D20 to
the
e-300, primarily because of the sensor cleaning  and the overall feel of the
camera.  The sales rep for Olympus had left one  for him to use for a week and
after a week of use, he decided to buy one to  replace the camera he had been
using.

So I guess my answer is that I really like both digital imaging and my e-1
system, and probably in that order.  For me, digital expands my ability to
create.  No one makes the perfect digital system and I think that as an
OM/Olympus user you will be pleased with the e-1/e-300 cameras.  If, like  me,
you use
your cameras in "real world" situations, like in the middle of  a field of
Texas wildflowers, at your grandson's t-ball game or perhaps on the  side of a
swamp filled with alligators, the sensor cleaning feature alone should  push
you over the line to Olympus.  Bill  Barber