[OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn
From: "Michael R. Collins" <michael789@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:21:12 -0500
>Ian wrote:
>
>  > ...the light meter needle responds to light and to moving any of the
>  > shutter, aperture, or ASA dials. Imagine
>  > my surprise when I removed the bottom cover and there is no battery.
>  > There isn't another source of power, is there?
>
>No. That's very strange. I've tested my 1N without batteries and it
>doesn't respond at all...
>
>Simon

My 1N (purchased in 1976, S/N 656xxx) has always shown the behaviour
Ian describes, with the switch set to Off (presumably the same as no
battery, although I haven't checked the circuit diagram to be sure).
Yes, you may ask how I learned this...

Did a couple of quick tests now. (1) With the meter switch On, the
needle is centred at 1/30 f/2.8. With the switch at Off, it's centred
at 1/2. (2) With the meter switch On, the needle is centred at 1/2
f/11. With the switch at Off, it's centred at f/2.8.

Four stops, whether you use adjust the aperture or the shutter speed.
Thus, the meter switch or battery presence is an ND 16 filter, if I
do my math correctly :-) .

Michael
--
Michael R. Collins  ...  Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx