[OM] Re: Am I out of line? (Ebay politics)

Subject: [OM] Re: Am I out of line? (Ebay politics)
From: George Relles <grelles@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:26:08 -0800
Hi. I'm new to this group but have done a fair amount of Ebay transactions,
mostly as a buyer.  I think much of the advice has been good but I would
like to add my 2 cents.

Whether buying or selling, if a dispute arises, I follow these rules:

1. I communicate with the seller(s) and in my note to them, I assume the
very best of them.  I assume that they didn't carefully inspect the object,
or that someone goofed in the shipment or that they just goofed. In other
words, rather than begin a war of words (which is what e-mail can too
easily result in) I am careful to leave the person a way out...rather than
back him or her into a corner.

2. I offer several clear alternatives to resolve the issue.  These usually
involve offering a choice of undoing the transaction, putting everyone back
at the starting point.  And usually I also offer another solution, such as
changing the price to reflect the mistake.  For example, once I sent a lens
to Japan only to have the buyer object to finding mold in the lens.  I had
inspected the lens for everything BUT not for mold. So I assumed the error
was mine, assumed the person was truthful, and refunded enough of the
purchase price so that the buyer could have the mold cleaned. He was happy
and so was I.

Similarly, when I bought a digital camera the seller claimed to be in
"perfect" condition, it arrived with a somewhat scratched LCD screen.  I
asked the buyer to rescind the transaction.  But I also offered to move
ahead if he would refund me $25 for his error. He did and again, further
hassles were avoided.

3. I never threaten a negative rating. Instead, I make it clear that if we
can resolve this amicably, we can give each other a positive ebay rating
when all is done to everyone's satisfaction.

4. If the dispute is prolonged, I try to talk to the person on the phone,
which allows for a better exchange of ideas and nuance that email doesn't
afford us.

5. In all communications I am firm but very polite and as clear as possible.

So far, with over 100 Ebay transactions, I have kept my 100% rating. More
importantly, I have made some mistakes myself and gone out of my way to
rectify them to try to keep the "integrity" of interpersonal commerce using
the Internet.

I hope others find my comments helpful and forgive me, please, if they are
a bit Pollyana-ish.

Best wishes to all.