[OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:54:37 -0000
Ian wrote:

> Thank you, Simon.  I downloaded the service manuals and
> within a few minutes was quite thankful that I fix cars not
> camera's for a living.

Yes, that's the sort of sinking feeling I get when I look at them, too!

> I "thought" the battery was still good as the light meter needle
responds
> to light and to moving any of the shutter, aperture, or ASA dials.
Imagine
> my surprise when I removed the bottom cover and there is no battery.
There
> isn't another source of power, is there?

No. That's very strange. I've tested my 1N without batteries and it
doesn't respond at all. Some very old light meters, and some cameras
(the Trip 35, I think, for example), had systems which didn't need
batteries, but IIRC they only work at reasonable light levels. As far as
I know the CdS sensors in the OM-1 do require battery power to function.

Where are you based?

Simon