[OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:58:00 -0000
Ian wrote:

> I just pulled the camera out of storage, and the wind
> mechanism did a 1/3 of turn, shutter operated, and now the
> winder will not move.  I'd like to get this camera back into
> working order....are there such things as service manuals for
> these cameras?

This is a good place to start:
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/

>  It appears that the foam in the back of the
> camera has deteriorated, there are stain marks at the left
> and right lower edge of the prism, and of course the shutter
> problem.  Amazingly enough, the battery still works, as the
> light meter appears to work ok.

The mercury batteries go on almost for ever if seldom used. Apparently
they can last decades in suitable storage conditions.

> Another question, the
> "on-off" lever at the top of the camera appears to make no
> difference to the operation of the light meter (ie: it works
> whether on or off), is this normal?

I don't know much about the M-1, except that it's supposed to be the
same as the OM-1. On the OM-1 the lever switches the light meter circuit
on and off.

> The other camera is an Olympus 35 SPn non-SLR camera.
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/Olympus/DSC02547.JPG
>
> Battery still works in this camera too.

It has the same 1.35V mercury battery (or, at least, it should have!)

> I know it hasn't
> been used since about 1980.  Everything appears to work, but
> it has the same foam deterioration problem as the M-1.  Two
> questions, where can this foam be acquired, and what kind of
> solvent would you use to remove the old foam?

See:
http://www.zuiko.com/7Backfoam.htm
(The author, John Hermanson, is also on this list.)

> I'm a car mechanic by trade..... with the right tools...is it
> within the realm of possibility that I can take these cameras
> apart if necessary?

I've done minor repairs on them. Both the (O)M-1 and the 35SP(N) are
pure mechanical cameras. The only electronic bit on both is the 1.35V
battery-powered light meter, with the slight complication on the 35SP, I
believe, that it uses the needle postion to cacluate aperture and
shutter speed mechanically as you SLOWLY press the shutter relase
button. I think if you have the right tools, and a gentle touch, and if
you work carefully and methodically, you should have some joy. You won't
be able to calibrate them, though, I expect, without correct test
apparatus.

Personally I can't see any reason not to have a go. If it's a
cobbled-together M-1, rather than a genuine one, then it's not worth a
fortune. Nor is the 35SP. You have little to lose.

> Are there any special tools needed other
> then very small screwdrivers?

At the very least you need a spanner -- not like a car one, but one
that's more like an old school compass. Without one you won't get far.

Regards,

Simon