[OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn
From: Jonas Otter <jonas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:48:21 +0100
Hello,

I have removed old sticky foam from my OM-1 prism and mirror myself,
more or less successfully. The foam in the back was replaced earlier by
a local company, who also converted the camera to use modern alkaline or
other 1.5 V batteries. Mercury batteries are now illegal here and cannot
be obtained any more.

I followed the instructions here:
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/tutorials/OM-1CoverRemoval/index.html

You may also find this link helpful:
http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/photo/cameras/light_seals/index.html

I used so-called "watchmaker's" screwdrivers, a pair of needle-nose
pliers and a pair of pointed tweezers as spanners to get the top open,
using extreme care with these tools which are not really the proper
ones, however they did work. Denatured (ethyl) alcohol will dissolve the
foam instantly, it can then be wiped off with lens tissues held in the
tweezers or carefully scraped off with a toothpick. Before you try this,
remove the focusing screen as it does not like alcohol (it will look as
if it has been sprayed with muddy water).

I had my camera serviced because the shutter locked up. I found it could
be unjammed by removing the bottom and carefully flipping a largish link
which runs across the bottom, however I think the reason my shutter
locked up is because it needs cleaning, since I now find it tapers at
the faster speeds, i.e. one curtain catches up with the other before
they are across the frame, so that at 1/1000th I will get only half a
picture, 3/4 of one at 1/500th etc. My conclusion is that since you are
having shutter problems, the best idea is to send the camera in for
servicing, you will get it cleaned and adjusted, the foam replaced and
the battery circuit modernized and be confident that it will work
properly afterwards. There are two persons on the list who do this
professionally and are well spoken of. It will cost you less than what
you would have to pay for a working camera with the same quality as an OM-1.

Regards,
Jonas