[OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1"

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1"
From: ian <ianrmac@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:03:33 -0700
Stephen Troy wrote:

> Mark Dapoz can give the definitive opinion, but it sure looks to me
> like an OM-1MD with an M-1 top.  The cross-point screws on the lens
> mount are another indication in addition to the "MD" badge.  M-1s
> originally had slotted screws, and while it is possible that the
> slotted screws were at some point replaced with cross-points, it is
> much more likely that someone just put an M-1 cover on an OM-1 MD.
> If there's a motor drive socket on the bottom, then the bottom plate
> isn't from an M-1, either.

Thanks Stephen....I have done some measurements and also realized that
I was looking at the wrong latch.  According to the M-1 info site, my latch
(the latch in the body, not on the cover) matches an M-1.  I also measured
the film pressure plate, it's measurements match an M-1 and the spacing
between the screws match an M-1.  I took the bottom cover off , here is
a picture of it:

http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/Olympus/DSC02578.JPG

>From what I read on the M-1 info page, there is no spring loaded ejector pin
so it's not an MD camera, but it does have the holes drilled for the motor
drive contact, just filled with the two screws.  So that part lines up with
an
M-1.  The only things now that don't match are the Philips head screws and
of course the "MD" badge on the front of the body.

I think I will attempt to "carefully" remove the top section and check some
other items under there that are M-1 specific.

> I've actually seen two just like this in the past couple of years as
> I've been searching out nice M-1 examples.  Both of those were OM-1MD
> cameras with M-1 tops as well.

And that's what I thought I had....now I'm wondering if I have an M-1 with
a different front cover and lens mount.  Supposedly the camera was "new"
when it was bought, but I have my doubts about that now.

Ian