[OM] Re: focusing rail knob question

Subject: [OM] Re: focusing rail knob question
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:47:01 -0600

>  are there really lowercase x's in these screw types?

Yes, but it's an "x" as in a dimension -- like 2x3, meaning "two-by-three".
In this case, it refers to a screw that has a 2mm diameter thread by 3mm in
length.  The letters (and sometimes a numerical prefix) at the beginning
define the screw or device type (pan head, countersunk head, etc), the
letters at the end define the finish (as in bare steel, polished chrome
plated, satin chrome plated, etc.).

The "WE..." designation is a parts number assigned by Olympus for ease of
reference when ordering.  It's sometimes confusing to ask for a
"3PSK1.4x4.5SN", for example, when you could ask for part number "WE108040"

> > If that doesn't work, I'd leave it be.
> Actually it's quite hard to adjust focus when the knob has that much play.
> But I can usually use the knob on the stage instead.

Hmmm -- good point.  I hadn't considered that....