[OM] Re: focusing rail knob question

Subject: [OM] Re: focusing rail knob question
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:18:29 -0500
on 2004/11/02 12:26 PM, John Hermanson at omtech@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Did the pin shear off?  I'm surprised they'd use them in that assembly.

Could be, at least partially. I can't tell 'til I get it out.

on 2004/11/03 1:06 PM, PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service at
olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My parts page shows an unusual number for the screw used on the knob of the
> focusing rail and stage (screw type ACU2x3SA, part #WE120009), a number
> different from the one shown on the bellows (screw type NU2x3SN, part
> #WE119168).  Once or twice I've encountered products where Olympus used
> ultra-tiny hex-head set screws and this may be one of them.  You might try
> getting a couple of the smallest hex drivers you can find and try using them
> to loosen/tighten the set screws.

Thanks, that's interesting too.

John and Clint - are there really lowercase x's in these screw types? Sorry
to ask such a question, but I'm not used to seeing mixed-case in things like
that.

> If that doesn't work, I'd leave it be.
> The diagram shows that the set screw locks the knob to the shaft, but as
> long as the screw doesn't back out too far, the knob will not unscrew
> completely.  In it's present state, it's just a mild inconvenience, but
> booger it up and you'll hate yourself in the morning!

Actually it's quite hard to adjust focus when the knob has that much play.
But I can usually use the knob on the stage instead.

My next step is to post a photo. Good thing I have macro equipment. :-)
Too bad I'm not shooting digital yet. :-)

Andrew