[OM] Re: now increasing scanner range

Subject: [OM] Re: now increasing scanner range
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:25:18 -0700 (PDT)
> The way I understand scanners is that adjusting the brightness
> of the
> image is just a software adjustment of the driver. You get the
> same
> basic raw scan each time. You can't adjust the lamp
> brightness. There
> is no aperture.

Not necessarily.  A program such as VueScan will control the
scanner in ways not originally intended by the manufacturer.  In
the specific case of my Nikon blurrscan, it causes the sensor to
slow down and park over the emulsion longer.

In Vuescan, on the first tab, at the bottom you have exposure
controls when you click the Auto-Exposure off.  Crank the
exposure up to 5 or more and see how much longer it takes to do
the scan.

Generally, when I scan negs or slides with Vuescan, I've got the
levels controls (Color Tab) turned to off or manual. This way
I'm seeing what the scanner is seeing.  Popping over to the
histogram you can see how much exposure room you have to play
with.  Go back to the first tab, adjust exposure and hit
preview.  Check to see the new histogram and repeat until you've
maximized the range.  Only then do I consider turning anything
back on in the color tab.  I chased my tail with out-of-gammut
problems until I started doing this procedure. Usually, though,
I just scan it without color changes and just correct everything
in the editors.

AG

http://vote.yahoo.com